Thursday, November 14, 2013

Victoria's Secret Isn't a Secret Anymore...

It is Femininity Friday the day that we discuss issues specific to being a woman. Today we will be discussing beauty and femininity. This week New York City hosted the annual Victoria Secret fashion show, an event the is heralded as one of the most beautiful spectacles of the year. (Due to the nature of the event, I will not post a link to outside articles about it because I wouldn't want to provide a stumbling point for any of the male readers.) For those of you that are unfamiliar with this particular event, it is a lingerie fashion show where the women also wear the symbolic wings of the Victoria Secret "angels".  

This night is dedicated to "fun" "flirty" and "fabulous" women. While I did not watch the show this year, in the past I did. I had girlfriends in college and grad school who looked forward to the event every single year. We would marvel at the beauty of the women on the runway, and at the ornate costumes. All the while we bought into the idea that these women really were having fun and being fabulous.

This week when I saw a blurb online about the fashion show, I was surprised at my own reaction. When I was reading about the show, I noticed that some images from the show were posted on the side of the article. I was shocked at what I saw. The images that I once found so gorgeous were not any more. When I looked at the images I didn't see beauty, I saw exploitation. The costumes were garish, the women were throwing themselves at the cameras. Victoria's Secret isn't a secret anymore, it is on display for the whole world to see.

And this is supposed to be beautiful? 

My viewpoint on beauty has changed SO MUCH since I gave my heart to Christ. Instead of watching the fashion shows and reading the "30 new ways to style your hair" in the magazines, I go back to my Bible. 1 Peter 3: 3-4 says, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." It isn't Victoria's Secret that makes you beautiful. The secret is the state of your heart. True beauty is the woman with wrinkles, smiling at her children. It is the woman who quietly serves her family that shines the brightest. No amount of fashionable lingerie can make up for a rotten heart. Wearing the $10 million bra won't change the state of your soul. It is through humble submission to the will of God that we find true beauty.

3 comments:

  1. I believe 'beauty' has always been perceived as outwards. It's seen throughout history and is an exploitation of outward appearance. Unfortunately the search for inner beauty is only done by people who want to take the time to seek it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New reader. Just a word of support for the Biblical women living in this era of rights. May you ever trust on God alone for your strength and perseverance in doing what is right according to the Bible.

    Mr. J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. What happens is they pay women to look like they're 'having fun,' 'feeling confident and flirty' and people buy into it feeling that they should feel the same if they buy and wear these products. It's all marketing, and none of it is there to benefit the consumer-quite the opposite actually.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan