Sunday, May 10, 2015

Wedding Season

It is that time of year again... Wedding season. I have been to a lot of weddings in my time. I've been to relative's weddings, friend's weddings, even my parents' weddings. And I have loved every single one of them. Even before I became a Christian, there was something magical about two people declaring their undying love to one another. 

After becoming a follower of Christ (if you want to know more about how to become a Christian email me, I would love to tell you!) I can honestly say that weddings have taken on a whole new meaning for me. Marriage is more than love, it is a sacred union between a man and a woman. Through this seemingly simple act two people are tethered together for the rest of their lives. They will live together, raise children together, work together, and grow old together. 

I have to say, that is pretty incredible. 

So what is the difference between a wedding and a marriage. A lot of people want a wedding. The big party, all the gifts, the flood of emotions... It all looks so glamorous from the single section. But that's just it. The wedding is one day, a handful of hours. A marriage is a lifetime. 

I see a lot of young women planning for a wedding. They often spend a huge amount of money on flowers, the dress, the location, the party favors, the decorations. When I hear a soon to be bride stressing herself out over it all I want to shake her and say, none of that will last. You will forget who sat where at the reception. Your flowers will die. Your party favors will find their way in to your guests junk drawer. Those things don't matter. What matters is the man you are standing next to when you say "I Do". 

Look at this young man, pledging his life to you. This man has said that of all the women in the world, he wants you. He wants to to cheer him on. He wants you to help him when he stumbles. He wants you to share the joys of seeing your child smile for the first time. By marrying you he is agreeing to lay down his life for yours, just as Christ did for the church. 

Heavy stuff. 

If you are not yet married, don't worry about the fussy parts of a wedding. That is just a drop in the bucket. Choose a good man, fear the Lord, and prepare your heart for His mission for your family. 

If you are already married, take a look at the man you pledged your life to. Thank him for working for your family. Love on him when he least expects it. Remember what it felt like to stand beside him before God and in front of friends and family. He is your knight in shining armor, forever and always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan