Sunday, March 1, 2015

Christian Female Role Model of the Day: Sue Farr

Welcome to my celebration of Women's History Month! You can read more about this month and why I am writing about admirable Christian women here. For now, let's jump in!

The Forgiven Former Feminist's Female Christian Role Model of the Day is... my friend and mother-in-law, Sue Farr!





Tell us about you:
Name:Sue Farr  

Age: just turned 60

Where you are from?  
Born in OK, grew up in California, lived in Texas, NJ, Germany, and Singapore; Texan by choice

Where do you currently live? 
NE Texas, on 6 acres outside of Mount Pleasant, a town of 16,000

What is your occupation? 
Follower of Jesus, mentor, my husband’s helper, life coach; trained as an urban planner, worked as a transportation planner outside NYC, trained as a secondary school teacher, taught jr. high, homeschooled our three kids from K-college 

How do you spend your free time? 
I love to grow roses, work with honey bees, create dollhouse miniatures, help young people discover their gifts and calling, quilt, do physical training with my husband, travel and minister internationally, and listen.

Tell us about your family:

Are you married? If so, how long have you been married?  
Married for almost 35 years to Roger, my best friend

What is your husband's occupation? (Or former occupation if retired) 
He is a chemical engineer, was in international sales and marketing, and then in executive management, for a global chemical company. We traveled the world together and made lots of memories. He left the corporate world at age 48 to volunteer with a Christian father-son ministry. I worked for him for 10 years in that ministry. We recently formed a family company, Principled Living, LLC, for our agriculture products and for proceeds from physical training, corporate leadership training, and writing projects.

Do you have children? If so how many and how old are they? 
We are blessed with three 20-something strong, Spirit-dependent, young adults; two are married; one grandchild. I find great joy in watching them each make strong, principled decisions.

Tell us about your walk with Christ!

How and when did you become a follower of Christ? 
I trusted Christ as Savior when I was about 12 at a weekend “Lay Witness Mission”; made a series of lordship decisions throughout my life as I recognize more areas I want God to take.

How do you work for the kingdom of God? 
When we left the corporate world for Christian ministry, I expected that we would align with large ministries and be parts of big, international, church-changing things. We did, and that was fun. Now, though, we are not aligned with any big organizations; this wasn’t our plan, just worked out that way. We seek to maintain international connections, particularly to West Africa and Southeast Asia, because we learn so much every time we go. We speak, mentor, coach, teach leadership to, and encourage a number of individuals and churches here in the U. S. We are actively working to meet people and to earn influence in our local area so that we have the privilege of helping people grown in Christ. This looks like local jail ministry, ESL volunteers, bee and Master Gardeners’ clubs, and one-on-one meetings with growing Christians.

What do you look for in a church? 
We go where Christ is honored and the Bible is preached. Currently, we participate in two churches; one is a small African-American fellowship, and the other is a Bible church. We go where we can help make disciples of Christ. 

What do you think is the biggest challenge that Christian women face? 
My biggest personal challenge is my  pride. I have strong opinions and a black-and-white view of life, and I become frustrated with grey areas. I struggle daily to proclaim Christ, not Sue. I am so grateful that God gave me my husband who knows me well and helps provide balance, grace, and perspective.

Do you have a life verse/favorite verse?  
Absolutely! I Thessalonians 4:11-12 says, “and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need” (NASB). These verses drive me to lead a life worth following and to see others as Jesus sees them.

Advice or additional comments: 
Strong women need other strong women in their lives because no one else will tell us what we really need to hear.


3 comments:

  1. Good focus.... we need commited Christian role models... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a blessing to have such strong role model in your family. Thanks for linking up at Thursday Favorite Things, please visit us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introducing us to Christine. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop.xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan