Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wife to Wife Wednesday: Motherhood

Good morning! Welcome to Wife to Wife Wednesday, the day that we discuss issues relating to marriage. Today I want to talk about motherhood. 

Motherhood is the craziest thing I've ever done... and I have done some crazy things. 

In the past all of my shenanigans have been purely selfish. If I want to pack up in the middle of the night and drive three hours from graduate school in Dallas to go hang out with friends in College Station, I went. As long as I covered my shifts at work, and did my homework, it didn't bother anyone else. If I wanted to drive five hours to Houston with my sister for a F. O. B. concert and drive all the way back (in a 12 hour period) to be at my bridal shower... It was no big deal. It only impacted me. 

Now all of that has changed. 

When I found out I was pregnant with William, my world didn't change all that much. I had a very easy pregnancy. Three weeks of morning sickness and that was it. I lifted the same weights for the first trimester and scaled back a little for the rest of the pregnancy. 

Birth was a different story. 

I carried William to 41 weeks and 5 days. Then, due to some blood pressure issues, the doctors decided induction was necessary. I went in to the hospital at 3:05 on Wednesday December 3, 2014, for a regular appointment and didn't leave the hospital again until Sunday December 7, 2014. We left the hospital a family of three. 

This isn't the time for a birth story (that will come later). For now I want to talk about coming home with my incredible husband B and our beautiful son William. I remember walking in to our home and thinking, "our lives will never be the same". 

I was right.
Image from Lea Hartman Photography

Only motherhood can take a selfish person and make you a giver.
Motherhood makes you get up for the 4th time that night. 
Motherhood pushes you to get out of bed and walk around the block (even though you are exhausted) because that is the only way your baby will rest. 
Motherhood makes a normally somber woman the queen of silly song and made up rhymes. 
Motherhood makes you stay up just listening to the sounds of your child breathing, to make sure they are alright. 

Motherhood is a huge, impossible, terrifying task that God granted to me. It is the craziest thing I've ever done, and it humbles me every single day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan