Monday, February 23, 2015

Title Tuesday: The Old Fashioned Way

Welcome to  Title Tuesday, my favorite day of the week! This day is dedicated to book suggestions and reviews. I write this portion of my blog because I am a big believer in the motivational speaker Charlie Jones' quote which says, "You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” I try to meet as many new people as possible and to read everything I can. This is my way of sharing that information with you. If you are interested in understanding my rating system for books you can read my Book Review Explanation here and What I Believe here. 


Today I want to tell you about The Old Fashioned Way by Ginger Kolbaba. This book is a 40 day devotional adapted from the major motion picture Old Fashioned. Let me begin by saying that I firmly agree with all the principles in this book. Each one of the devotions focuses on keeping your heart pure and not for "the one that you will marry" but rather, for God. Kolbaba does a great job of tackling real issues that people face on a daily basis. 

What with all the junk in the news today after the "50 Shades" release, I appreciate Kolbaba's frank approach of holding to God's standard for sexual purity in dating relationships. She also explains how to rededicate yourself to purity if you stumble, without coming across as condemning the reader. As I was going through this devotional I was encouraged and challenged to be more intentional in what I allow myself to see, hear, and think about. 

Overall I give The Old Fashioned Way an A+ review and while I greatly enjoyed this devotional I really believe that it is geared more towards singles than married people. This could be a great book for accountability groups to go through together. If you have a teenager or college age child I highly recommend this book to encourage them in their battle for sexual purity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan