Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Title Tuesday: Expectant Parents

Welcome to  Title Tuesday, my favorite day of the week! This day is dedicated to book suggestions and reviews. I write this portion of my blog because I am a big believer in the motivational speaker Charlie Jones' quote which says, "You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” I try to meet as many new people as possible and to read everything I can. This is my way of sharing that information with you. If you are interested in understanding my rating system for books you can read my Book Review Explanation here and What I Believe here. 

With all of that being said, let us jump in and get started. Today I am reviewing a copy of Suzanne Hadley Gosselin's new book Expectant Parents: Preparing Together for the Journey of Parenthood a Focus on the Family book published by Tyndale House Publishers. 

This book is a very practical guide to help soon-to-be-parents tackle the difficult topics relevant to pregnancy. While it only has 12 chapters, Expectant Parents does a great job of bringing up issues that first time parents may not know they need to discuss. The topics include everything from cravings and body issues to pregnancy fears and what life will look like when you bring your new baby home. The chapters are neatly written and well organized. Appendix I and II both have excellent resources listed as well. Gosselin does an excellent job of handling potentially awkward and difficult topics with grace and poise.

That is my official review, here are my personal thoughts. Since my husband and I are expecting our first child this November we absolutely loved going through this book together. Throughout the duration of my pregnancy I have read countless parenting books. Many of them were decent, a few were good and one or two were bad. Expectant Parents was a phenomenal book for my husband and I to read together. I read through Expectant Parents first and made notes on the things that caught my attention. I then gave the book to my very masculine husband. He also enjoyed the way that Gosselin brought various subjects to our attention. We both enjoyed working through the list of five to eight questions at the end of each of the chapters. I loved that Gosselin incorporated more than just the "oh my gosh there is a baby on the way" idea and moved in to a more focused sphere of what intentional and godly parenting should be. 

Overall, I loved Expectant Parents. I believe that this book would make an excellent baby shower gift for expecting parents. Although this book isn't set up as a true study I think that it could also be a great book to go over in a group setting. I give Expectant Parents a solid A+ and I recommend it for any and all new parents.     

I received this book free from Litfuse Publicity Group 
I was not required to write a positive review. 
The opinions I have expressed are my own. 
I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 225

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan