Friday, April 4, 2014

Title Tuesday: Dancing with Fireflies

Today is Saturday, but we are going to treat it like a  Title Tuesday, my favorite day of the week! This day is dedicated to book suggestions and reviews. I write this portion of my blog because I am a big believer in the motivational speaker Charlie Jones' quote which says, "You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” I try to meet as many new people as possible and to read everything I can. This is my way of sharing that information with you. With that being said, let us jump in and get started.

Today I am reviewing Dancing with Fireflies by Denise Hunter. This book is an easy read, it is fun and it is uncomplicated. In the story, Jade finds out she is unexpected pregnant and has to return home to ask her family for help. I won't spoil the book but I will say that this book should really have a trigger warning before the "intro". The reason that the main character finds herself pregnant is that she was raped. The fact that Jade gets date raped is not appropriately handled. She does not get counseling, report it, or seek medical help. I understand story lines and wanting to pull the reader in, but using a rape to do that is absolutely egregious, and not warning readers ahead of time was a horrendously poor choice. The story was not much better to be completely honest. Jade bounces around dating multiple men while pregnant, she has sexually improper relationships with her boyfriends, and yet this book is "Christian fiction". I understand the idea of Christian romance, but in my opinion this book does a poor job of modeling healthy and appropriate Christian relationships. 

So what do I rate this book? A solid C- and that is being kind. I would not recommend this book because in my opinion it does not meet with my standards of what is appropriate to fill your mind with. 

I received this book free from Litfuse Publicity Group 
I was not required to write a positive review. 
The opinions I have expressed are my own. 
I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan