Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Title Tuesday: The Devil Walks in Mattingly

Today is Thursday, but we are going to treat it like a  Title Tuesday, my favorite day of the week. This day is dedicated to book suggestions and reviews. I write this portion of my blog because I am a big believer in the motivational speaker Charlie Jones' quote which says, "You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” I try to meet as many new people as possible and to read everything I can. This is my way of sharing that information with you. With that being said, let us jump in and get started.

Today I am going to review The Devil Walks in Mattingly by Bill Coffey. This book is an unusual blend of creative writing and imagery. I have to warn you, this is the most complicated review I have ever had to write. Allow me to explain. The Devil Walks in Mattingly, labeled as Christian fiction, is a murder mystery. Coffey does an incredible job with this story. He draws you into the story with just enough details to hook you, but the pieces do not all fall together until the very last chapter. The characters (even the supporting ones) are complicated and well developed. They are all engaging and they make you want to know every last detail. I picked up this book on a Friday night and finished it on a Saturday afternoon. I literally could not put the book down, I kept finding ways to prop the book open while I completed my normal tasks.

So, if the book is SO good why did I only give it a C rating? Well, to be completely honest this book does not fit with my standard of what meets the requirement of being Christian literature. I base my reviews off of Philippians 4:8 which says, “Finally, brothers, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” If the book fits these qualifications 100% then the book receives a B review. If the book is exceptionally well written or if it has new insights then I will rate it an A. If the book does not meet the requirements in this verse then the book receives a C rating.


In my opinion, The Devil Walks in Mattingly is very well written, it is engaging, and envelopes your imagination. However this book contains: premarital sex, murder, lies, deception, bullying, and paranormal activity. Although the author mentions God in passing, it is not a Christian book, no matter how it is labeled. I cannot in good conscience rate this book anything over a C. It is a good read because it is so enjoyable, but it is NOT a Christian book. 
I received this book free from Litfuse Publicity Group 
I was not required to write a positive review. 
The opinions I have expressed are my own. 
I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan