Thursday, February 6, 2014

Title Tuesday: The Secrets of Happy Families

So normally on Fridays I post up something about femininity in my Femininity Friday section. However, today I am part of a blog tour for a new book so I will be reviewing a copy of The Secrets of Happy Families by Bruce Feiler. You can find my other reviews in my Title Tuesday section here.

This book is a guide of sorts to help a family navigate the obstacles common the normal American household.  There are many tips in this book, so many in fact that author himself says that no one can implement them all. While I understand the idea behind the book, I must say I was not encouraged or edified by The Secrets of Happy Families, in fact I was actually bothered by it.

The average family faces a great many challenges and trials; that is no secret. The solution to these problems, according to Feiler, is more schedules and routine so mom doesn’t have to do it all. I strongly dislike the idea that having your kids come downstairs and make their own breakfast is parenting. Teaching your children to cook and allowing them to take turns planning and making breakfast is one thing. Having your kids run down stairs and grab whatever they can on the way out the door while you enjoy a cup of coffee in the other room is laziness, not parenting. Once in a while is fine, but if you are doing this every single day you are abdicating your God-given role as the primary influencer on a child’s life.

In Chapter six “Talk about Marshmallows” Feiler suggests that group parenting is often most successful because group think has been proven to work in the business world. I do not want the “tribe” that it supposedly takes to raise a child influencing my children. The world has accepted too many things that are contradictory to the Bible. I do not believe that group think has any place in a home. In fact if you check in the Bible it is pretty clear about the “chain of command” in a family: one father as the head, one mother as the helpmeet and children to further the kingdom of Christ.

This may be a fine book for non-Christian, but as far as I am concerned this book is a solid C- and I would not recommend a Christian family reading it. Not one of these chapters was dedicated to faith, listening to God’s instruction or any kind of spiritual training. This book smacks of feminist principles hidden within the goal of “family improvement”. The book is selfish and promotes a “me first attitude”. There are better resources out there for families looking to better themselves while honoring God at the same time. 

I received this book free from the publisher through Litfuse Publicity. 
I was not required to write a positive review. 
The opinions I have expressed are my own. 
I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255

If you are interested in marriage and family enrichment be sure to check out my Must Read List and Bookstore at the top of the page. My Must Read List is the Forgiven Former Feminist approved reading list. All of these books have been rated A+ on Title TuesdayThe Bookstore is my personal Amazon store. This is where you can find copies of all of the books I enjoy and want to share with you.  

1 comment:

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan