Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Wife to Wife Wednesday: Social Media

When describing motherhood Madeleine L'Engle said, "I looked at this tiny, perfect creature and it was as though a light switch had been turned on.  A great rush of love flooded out of me." Motherhood is an impossible love that you almost can't understand from the outside. It is a sacrificial love, a love that cannot be explained. I am not yet a mother so when I began this piece I felt a bit odd, as if I was telling someone else's story. However, I could not leave this story untold.  

There is a video circling the internet mocking the institution of motherhood. This video makes fun of a mother's natural desire to provide for and protect their children. The goal of this video is not to propagate the feminist agenda, but simply to sell deodorant for men.


What is this saying to young mothers? That it makes you crazy when you want to protect your child. THis video says that the natural inclinations that are God-given are wrong. What is this saying to young men? It says do what you want, your mom is just being overprotective. 

So, why is this such a big deal to me? It bothers me that society has so easily accepted that a mother that cares is "stalker-like". I am infuriated to see that this is being passed around on social media among Christians with comments like "OMG so funny". Just because society says something is funny or note-worthy does not mean that it is. Stop passing around garbage. We need to be aware of what we are "sharing" and marking with our approval, we are after all models of Christ-like virtue. Right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan