Sunday, January 5, 2014

Military Monday: Women and Pullups

Welcome to another Military Monday Upon marrying a military man I learned that there is a LOT to know about life as a military spouse. Mondays are my day to talk about the things I am learning, the new language, military news and current events. Ready? Lets jump in. 

It is the start of a new year, HOORAY! This is something that everyone is excited about. A few people however have been approaching this day with a bit of dread. January 2014 was supposed to be the deadline for female Marines to complete the same physical fitness test as men. In November it was announced that this deadline would be pushed back because the female marines were unable to complete the three pullup requirement. 

NPR ran a story recently about the fact that most of the female recruits do not meet the requirement. NPR was blasted for being sexist and unfair in their portrayal of the story. This leads one to ask, is it sexist to say "here is the standard"? NPR did so and got a lot of hateful comments, despite the fact that they talked about how women could meet the standards. 

Now, before I hear a bunch of "you don't know how hard a pullup is" let me tell you, I do. My husband coaches a functional fitness program out of our garage. We committed to a lifetime of fitness. I won't ever be fighting for my country in combat, but I also don't want to let my body fall into disrepair simply because everyone else does. So, we do bench press and push ups (the real kind where your arms have to be in the right position) and squats (where you have to get below parallel) and yes, even the dreaded pullups among many other things. 

Are pullups are hard? Yup. I know. But there is a way to learn to do them. This is a life skill that can be learned by men and women. I cannot stand it when people say that is a guy thing. It so is not! It is hard. It takes discipline. It takes commitment, but it can be done. If the feminists want women to be able to do every job that a man does they need to be able to perform at the same standards. The women who do not should face the same punishment that men would if they failed to meet the standard. 

One of my goals for this year is to get my first unassisted pullup. It is going to take work and you can bet the day it happens I am going to tell everyone. I don't want to hear "women have less upper body strength, they need different standards". That is just an excuse. You can read more about fitness and why I train here

Women wanted equality, we got it. 

Now earn it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan