Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wife To Wife Wednesday: Modesty in the Bedroom?

Welcome to another Wife to Wife Wednesday! Today we are tackling the issue of modesty in a marriage. I have written about modesty several times. You can read those posts here. But what I want to talk about today isn't modesty outside the home, it isn't about modesty at church or in the gym. I am talking about modesty withing the confines of your bedroom. 

Does modesty have a place in a marriage?

This question came up for me the other day while I was talking with my husband. We had just come home from an evening out with a group of friends from church. I had worn a sweater with a camisole underneath to the event. When we came home I was hot and ran inside and took of the sweater. While I was fishing around for a t-shirt to put on, my husband made what I thought was an odd request. B said if I was hot, I could wear just my camisole... and I was immediately embarrassed.   

Wear just my camisole around the house? How could he ask me to do that? That isn't modest at all!

 I tend to dress on the very modest side. To some people I am certain that it is overkill, but I have a history of not always being modest during my bartender and waitress days in college. So once I learned about Biblical womanhood and modesty, I decided to try to be as conservative as I can with my wardrobe choices. (This is not to say that I dress in a frumpy manor, in fact I will be posting a series soon on modest wardrobe choices that are fashionable too. Be sure to check back!) 

So, is it wrong to wear just a camisole when it is just you and your hubby? I had to really think about this one. My initial response was YES! You are supposed to always be modest, right? 

Guess what? The answer is no. It is not wrong to wear things for your husband. It is ok for your husband to want to be intimate with you, to want to see your body. Proverbs 5:19 says, "A loving doe, a graceful deer, may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be intoxicated with her love". God gave you to one another! Yes, you are partners in your spiritual walk, you may be partners in parenting, but you are also lovers. God doesn't want us to hide our bodies from our husbands. Modesty is meant for outside the home. Inside the home, you are to give your bodies to one another. 

So here is my challenge to you today. Find a way to show your husband you want to share your body with him this week. Remind him that he is the perfect lover, hand picked for you by God. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to your modest clothing posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan