Saturday, November 2, 2013

Mug Decoration Craft

Next week, we will be celebrating B's 26th birthday. I happen to LOVE celebrating other people's birthdays. Since B's birthday is the 12th, I decided to do a small gift each day from the start of the month, so 12 birthday presents in all. It has been so much fun to have him open a gift each morning at breakfast.

My favorite, that he has opened up so far, has been a coffee cup that I gave him. I saw the idea on pinterest (you can check out my pinterest boards here...) and I just had to try it out. So how did I start? I went to Dollar Tree and bought three mugs. I chose three because I figured I would probably break one, or mess up the writing, or something. Sure enough walking in the door I dropped one, so I ended up starting with just two mugs.

The next thing I did was preheat the oven. I set the oven on 350 degrees and then got started with my decorating. All you need is permanent markers! I took the first mug and started drawing on it. I wrote a sweet message and put B's name on the outside. Then I added a few embellishments here and there. It is really up to you how you decorate your mugs. I would suggest not putting anything on the handle of the mug. It will get the most use. But If you try it and it works out, let me know!

Finally it was time to put the mugs in the oven. I put mine inside a pyrex baking dish to make it easier to get out of the oven. (I have TERRIBLE luck with dropping/spilling/tipping things as they come out of the oven, so this seemed safest for everyone involved.) You could just as easily put yours directly on your oven rack or on a cookie sheet. I put the mugs in at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. I have seen several different takes on this around the web, some said 20 mins and some said 45. I settled in the middle. It is EXTREMELY HOT when it comes out of the oven, so be aware of that and don't do what I did, which was grab the mug with your bare hand. It doesn't feel very good.

In the end it is super cute and I think B likes having his morning coffee post PT in this fun little mug. I am thinking about trying it on some plain dishes soon, maybe for a Christmas gift? We shall see. If you try out this idea, leave a comment and let me know how yours turned out!

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! How does it look after a few washes? I've heard that these fade sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan