Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Living My Life


“There are moments when one has to choose between living one’s own life, fully, entirely, completely-or dragging out some false, shallow, degrading existence that the world in its hypocrisy demands.”
---- Oscar Wilde
I went to dinner this past week with some old girlfriends. These girlfriends knew me when I was in graduate school, fighting ruthlessly for every opportunity. Back then I was working towards a career as a curator. I came to school every single day in professional clothing and sky-high high heels. I got internships and made straight “A”s.
I looked the part, I got the grades. But in the end I was living someone else’s life. When I went home at night and the worked stopped there was no peace. In fact, there was a hole in my heart. After a great deal of prayer and time with just me and God, I realized that I was playing dress up. This was my moment to decide, who am I? Am I going  take on a career that does not make me happy because of the prestige that come with it? Or am I going to get brave and live my life?
It was not a quick change, or an easy one for that matter. But I got my teaching certification and I am now teaching kindergarten. No, I don’t spend my days surrounded by and selling valuable pieces of art. I go home at night and I am dirty and exhausted.  My girlfriends think I have lost my mind.
But you know what? I am exactly where God designed me to be, ready and willing to work for the glorification of His kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan