Sunday, January 6, 2013

True Beauty

Norman Rockwell The Prom Dress
Beauty.

What a dangerous word. 

Make-up, tanning, hairspray, push-up bras, skinny jeans... and that is just the beginning. Women today work really hard to be beautiful. But what happens when your make-up is perfect, your hair is immaculate and you still don't feel beautiful? When no matter how straight your eyeliner is, you still feel like a mess? 

I am an expert on those days. When I empty my pockets at the end of the day I find marbles in my pocket that I pulled from a child's mouth, melted candy I confiscated, and tissues that may or may not be clean. I find strange stains on my clothing and I have no idea where they came from. Being a kindergarten teacher, there are days where I am pretty sure the perma-grime from kid's hands doesn't wash off my clothing, out of my hair, or off my skin. Don't get me wrong, I love my job but it isn't exactly glamorous.  

I was reminded of this at dinner with friends recently. These friends work in advertising, a law firm, marketing, and an art gallery. They show up to dinner thoroughly accessorized and their make-up is still perfect. I show up after work looking like I went through a battle. My clothes are wrinkled because I have held kids all day. I have paint on my shirt and staining my hands. My only accessories are my Aggie Ring, my cross necklace, and a bracelet one of my kids made me out of macaroni. They put together beautiful outfits for work that leave them looking like they just stepped out from the pages of Vogue. 

A friend reminded me recently that beautiful means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I used to wonder if there was something wrong with me. Am I missing the gene that makes girls obsess about the way that they look? It isn't to say that I don't care, it is just that I would rather worry about other things. If I was worried about messing up my hair, my kindergartners and I wouldn't have nearly as much fun playing dress-up. Our math lesson wouldn't be nearly as effective if I didn't give each of the children a cup of paint so we can count our fingerprints. "Pinterest perfect" outfits are not the only measure of beauty. In fact, the Bible is pretty clear on beauty. Psalm 139:14 says, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." God made me exactly the way I am, to complete His mission. That means I am going to play in the dirt with all twelve of my kids, and enjoy basking in the beauty of His creations.

5 comments:

  1. Love your post and great reminder that beauty is not all surface level. In fact I find most people are radiant when they are not obsessed with their appearance but confident in who they are as God made them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are like the "Velveteen Rabbit", Morgan - a little worse for wear in the rough trenches of motherhood, but you are also the prized gift for exactly why you have ragged edges. You are doing the best work of all and have the signs to prove it! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and now a days every one looking for beauty feel happy and impress others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey There!

    I'm enjoying your insights on this blog, as a fellow young single Christian woman (who also works with children). I was curious if you might be interested in joining a group of similar young women to host a blog hop?

    I was thinking maybe Single Sisters Saturdays?

    As an opportunity to share blog links that would be encouraging to other young women during this season of our lives (from a homemaking, bibilical womanhood and discipleship perspective). Leave me a comment or shoot me an email if it's something you might be interested in!

    (librarylady21 at gmail dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious post on beauty. I'm certain your children think you're the most beautiful woman they know and spend time with. That's the beautiful I think that matters the most. Thank you for sharing at WJIM. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan