Friday, January 25, 2013

Can I Serve if I can't Knit?


I have a very dear friend (and now roommate!) who amazes me. She is in the final stretch of PT school and yet still finds the time to make plum jam and handmade lace headbands… DURING FINALS. She also makes food to take to ill church members, and knits fun things for friends and family. She is the person you call when there is a ministry opportunity because she knows how to do all this stuff.

She is what I call a domestic goddess.

I am not, and everyone knows it.

Let me tell you, I used to really struggle with the fact that no one in my small group called me to bake casseroles or help plan a baby shower. So I made a list of all the things I wanted to learn to do so that I could minister. The list included learning to make food that can be frozen and reheated, knitting (just so I could give baby blankets), and getting better at public speaking (so that people would want me to speak at their small groups). Yes, all of those are good things to learn. But then I realized I was completely ignoring 
the things I could do, the gifts that God has given me.

No, I can’t knit a blanket or sew tiny clothes for expecting moms. But you know what I can do? I can babysit, I can drive her other kids to ballet and football. I may burn casseroles, but I can clean a home like you have never seen. I may not be great at organizing games to play at a baby shower, but I can get the oil changed in her car.

I didn’t grow up learning to minister like my friend did. But I have been given a servants heart and a great deal of real life experiences. Everyone starts at a different place. But God can use even me, a former waitress/bartender turned teacher. Just imagine what He can do with you. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm the opposite- I can crochet and I can cook, but I'm awful at cleaning LOL
    Trying to learn that part because while crochet is something we can live without in this house, cleaning isn't, especially with our 3 kids!
    Love your blog- I am too a former feminist, and am a new Christian (about 5 months now). Your words are very inspiring :-)
    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan