Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Abortion, Feminism, and Forgiveness

Today is one of those days that can slip by unnoticed by many people. But to feminists, today is historically a big day. Today marks the anniversary of one of the most basic tenets of modern day feminism, the right for women to control their own bodies. 


January 22, 2013 marks 40 years since the outcome of Roe v. Wade. 


I had a couple of emails in my inbox today asking my thoughts of Roe v. Wade and abortion in general. This isn't a topic I have addressed before from a biblical perspective, but it is one that I think is relevant to my blog. I have some experience with the subject. However, because of the potentially volatile nature of this subject I would like to remind everyone reading that this is a Christian blog; any comments that are vulgar in nature, demean, belittle or propagate hate will not be tolerated. 

That being said, lets jump right in. 


What are my thoughts on abortion? 
Abortion is murder because life begins at conception. (How do I know? See end***)
If you have a problem with that statement you should probably stop reading now.

Many people don't know the significance of Roe v. Wade, if you need more information it can be found here and here. Basically Roe v. Wade is the landmark decision by the United States Supreme Court that stated that most laws against abortion violate a constitutional right to privacy. This meant that you could now leagally attain an abortion in the United States. Since the decision made on January 22, 1973, the National Right to Life Committee estimates that 54,559,615 children have been killed.  

Roe v. Wade has the stipulation that abortions should not be done when the child is viable, meaning that he/she can survive outside the womb. In 1973, this meant 28 weeks. Currently the survival rate of children born at 24 weeks is 50%. As science and  technology progress the age of viability is pushed further and further back. When will it be decided that a fetus is a child, no matter the point in gestation? 


This is me and my sister at a protest
against the 40 Days for Life Campaign
in College Station, Texas in 2009.
I did not always feel this way. In fact, I used to volunteer at Planned Parenthood when I was in college. I was studying for my minor in Women's Studies and a professor said that they needed volunteers, and I signed up. I walked women into and out of the clinic multiple times a week. I thought that I was doing my part to help protect the autonomy of womanhood, after all being able to control when and if you have children is a fundamental aspect of feminism. I was doing my part to help fight against the tyranny of men... or so I thought.

When I dedicated my life to Christ this was one of the areas I struggled with the most, especially when I began to really study my Bible and understand how precious each and every life is to God. My heart breaks to think of the role I played in the loss of children's lives. I have asked forgiveness but it has taken a great deal of prayer for me to get to the point to be able to write this article. 

Yes, women have a right to privacy just like men. No one is arguing that. What feminists push is that women who have unwanted pregnancies lose the right to their bodies by being forced to carry the child to term. So, rather than carry the child to term and give it up for adoption, the answer is to get an abortion.

It needs to be clarified that abortion is not synonymous with women's rights, and not just academically. This is a lie that has been fed to one generation after another. This lie is HUGE and has a lasting impact. Christians need to stand up for the lives being lost, and rather than condemning the women who face this choice, show them the love and compassion of Jesus Christ, the one true model of sacrificial love.


****
"Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations."Jeremiah 1:4-5

"What then shall I do when God rises up? When He punishes, how shall I answer Him? Did not He who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same One fashion us in the womb?" Job 31:14-15

"For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well." Psalm 139:13-14

5 comments:

  1. How beautifully and courageously put! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful testimony! Yes; this topic is definitely relative to your blog (bold title, btw!). Thank you dear one, for speaking out for the unborn. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. Well-said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Morgan,
    What a wonderful post. So many of us have blood on our hands, but it is so hard to see it, to admit to it... thank God we can take refuge under His mercy, under His blood shed for us. His grace is for you, for me, for all, for this sin, too.

    May He have mercy on this nation and on all who struggle with this. And may the women in the awful situation of having to choose be supported and loved and cared for by those around her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Have you seen Sydna Massey's testimony?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCc7GWbCVtg

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out The Forgiven Former Feminist. I welcome your thoughts and comments! Please keep in mind that this is a Christian blog. Any lewd or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Thanks!
Morgan